Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
October 10, 2018
(Lots of new information this week!!)
The Last Time We Met
This reporter was happily able to return to our weekly meeting after a bit of an absence. The new leader of the Salvation Army in New Bedford had returned to talk about his work in Lawrence following the gas explosions. Major Richard Jung told of speaking to survivors, including the police officer whose house exploded shortly after exiting it. He also told of the generosity of local restaurants and businesses to supplement the food they gave out. The New Bedford truck was able to give out over 2,000 of the 10,000 meals provided by the Salvation Army. If you weren’t there, you missed a good one. Thank you to Major Jung (a Rotarian in PA, and hopefully here again soon) for coming to speak with us.
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Major Richard Jung of the Salvation Army.
Missed last week’s GAM? You can check it (or any past issue) out at http://newbedfordma.clubwizard.com/NewsletterArchive.cfm
The Next Time We Meet
October 12th – Club Social Gathering. Evening at the Barrett’s. 6:00 pm. An email was sent with details.
October 17th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting? Let us know
October 24th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
October 31st – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
November 6th –Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
November 7th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
Odds and Ends
P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO
President Carole wants to invite everyone out for the Providence Bruins Game on November 9th. This is a really fun night where least a portion of the ticket price goes to Polio Plus (maybe all?). If interested or you need transportation, let Carole know. There may be other local clubs arranging transportation.
CLUB SOCIAL NIGHT
Looking forward to seeing everyone this Friday, October 12 at 6:00 pm. Let Cheryl know you did not get the email with the location and other information. Mix and mingle with your fellow members. If everyone can bring something, it will make it easier for everyone involved. We hope everyone will join us for the fun and fellowship.
FREE TICKETS TO BCL SWEET TEMPATIONS
Once again, our club is a sponsor of Better Community Living’s Sweet Temptations Fundraiser. This means we have free tickets for club members to use. Some have been given out already and the rest will be distributed this Friday at the Club Social Night (See article above – another reason to attend).
BREAKFAST WITH SANTA (From our BWS co-Chair Marc S.)
Our Breakfast With Santa will be held on Sunday, November, 25, 2018 at the New Bedford YMCA. Rick Kidder, President of the Southcoast Chamber has agreed to be Santa again. There will also be pictures with Santa and crafts for the children; and a nice catered breakfast,
Form are available to be used for the Gold Sponsors and other contributors who purchase placemat ads. (Check with Marc if you did not get them in an email from him) We really need your support for this Event:
1. Gold Sponsorships are available for $200 and include an ad on all the placemats, listing on a poster at the Event, mention in any publicity, and tickets for two families of four which can be donated to local charities in your name. Please also let me know if you are aware of any organizations that can use donated tickets for children and their families to attend the Event.
2. Place mat ads (business card size) are $25 each on a placemat design (appearing on around 20-25 placemats); or be on all 6 placemat designs (appearing on up to 120-150 placemats) for $130 (and also includes one adult and one child ticket for the Event). This is great for businesses and other people to support the Club.
3. Individual tickets are available for sale: $10 for adults, $6 for children, under 3 are free. Do you know any families with small children that would like to attend?
4. We can use help on the day serving food, cleaning tables, working with Santa or in the crafts room.
Thanks and best regards,
SPEAKERS – WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Who would you like to see as a speaker at our meeting? What would you like to know more about? In the past we have had people give us updates on various projects in the city or around the state. Other times, professionals have come in to give tips from better business practices to better living. Let us know what you would like to see.(3)
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information as some events are club sponsored)
- WORLD POLIO DAY, October 24, 2018 https://www.endpolio.org/world-polio-day
- P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, November 9, 2018, The Dunk, Providence, RI https://rotary7950.com/event/rotary-night-at-the-providence-bruins/
- THE NUTS AND BOLTS OF ROTARY ASSEMBLY- DESIGNED FOR PRESIDENT ELECTS AND DEVELOPED FOR ALL ROTARIANS, November 10, 2018, 8 am to 2 pm. White’s of Westport. Lunch included. https://rotary7950.com/event/the-nut-s-and-bolts-of-rotary/
- FOUNDATION DINNER, usually 6pm Social Hour/ 7 pm Dinner, November 15, 2018, Rosebrook Event Center, Wareham, www.crsadmin.com/gen/Accounts/50054/EventPlanner/d41bba93-358a-4afc-972f-d948582c158e/13524/Foundationdinnerflyer.pdf
- MID-YEAR MEETING/PrePETS, February 9, 2019
- NORTHEAST PETS, March 7-9, 2019, Sheraton, Framingham MA
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (RLI), March 30, 2019, Amica, Lincoln, RI
- DISTRICT INTERNATIONAL NIGHT, April 1, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- DISTRICT ASSEMBLY: SECRETARIES, TREASURERS, ALL ROTARIANS, April 13, 2019, White’s of Westport
- MULTI DISTRICT CONFERENCE, May 3-4, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, June 1-5, 2019, Hamburg, Germany
- DISTRICT GOVERNOR INSTALLATION, June 17, 2019, Cape Codder, Hyannis, MA
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
Wife: “My husband has no bad habits whatsoever. He never drinks, and he spends all of his evenings here at home. Why, he doesn't even belong to a club."
Friend: “Does he smoke?"
Wife: "Not very often. He likes a cigar after he has had a good dinner, but I can't recall the last time he smoked!"