Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
October 3, 2018
The Last Time We Met (as reported by President Carole)
Last week we had an enthusiastic group. We presented 2 checks, one to Tom Riley and Stu Lawrence.
Our guest was Major Richard Jung of the Salvation Army. He will be the guest speaker on October 10th.
President Carole asked the members to share the reasons they joined Rotary. They did an excellent job. We have a dedicated group.
Thank you Carole for the update.
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Major Richard Jung of the Salvation Army.
Missed last week’s GAM? You can check it (or any past issue) out at http://newbedfordma.clubwizard.com/NewsletterArchive.cfm
The Next Time We Meet
October 10th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Guest speaker - Major Richard Jung of the Salvation Army.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting? Let us know
October 12th – Club Social Gathering. Evening at the Barrett’s. 6:00 pm. An email was sent with details. Please let Cheryl know what you will be bringing.
October 17th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
October 24th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
Odds and Ends
SPEAKERS – WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Who would you like to see as a speaker at our meeting? What would you like to know more about? In the past we have had people give us updates on various projects in the city or around the state. Other times, professionals have come in to give tips from better business practices to better living. Let us know what you would like to see.(2)
CLUB SOCIAL NIGHT
It was officially announced!! SAVE THE DATE – Friday, October 12th. Mix and mingle with your fellow members. If everyone can bring something, it will make it easier for everyone involved. Contact Cheryl so she knows what you will bring. We hope everyone will join us for the fun and fellowship.(3)
Lisa is still looking for dues from a few folks. If you haven’t got around to sending them, please do so. (3)
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information as some events are club sponsored)
- WORLD POLIO DAY, October 24, 2018 https://www.endpolio.org/world-polio-day
- P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, November 9, 2018, The Dunk, Providence, RI https://rotary7950.com/event/rotary-night-at-the-providence-bruins/
- THE NUTS AND BOLTS OF ROTARY ASSEMBLY- DESIGNED FOR PRESIDENT ELECTS AND DEVELOPED FOR ALL ROTARIANS, November 10, 2018, 8 am to 2 pm. White’s of Westport. Lunch included. https://rotary7950.com/event/the-nut-s-and-bolts-of-rotary/
- FOUNDATION DINNER, usually 6pm Social Hour/ 7 pm Dinner, November 15, 2018, Rosebrook Event Center, Wareham, MA
- MID-YEAR MEETING/PrePETS, February 9, 2019
- NORTHEAST PETS, March 7-9, 2019, Sheraton, Framingham MA
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (RLI), March 30, 2019, Amica, Lincoln, RI
- DISTRICT INTERNATIONAL NIGHT, April 1, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- DISTRICT ASSEMBLY: SECRETARIES, TREASURERS, ALL ROTARIANS, April 13, 2019, White’s of Westport
- MULTI DISTRICT CONFERENCE, May 3-4, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, June 1-5, 2019, Hamburg, Germany
- DISTRICT GOVERNOR INSTALLATION, June 17, 2019, Cape Codder, Hyannis, MA
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
A schoolteacher asked her class to write a short essay and to choose their own subject. A little girl sent in the following paper. "My subjek is 'Ants'. Ants is of two kinds, insects and lady uncles. Sometimes they live in holes and sometimes they crawl into the sugar bowl, and sometimes they live with their married sisters. That's all I know about ants."