Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
August 29, 2018
The Last Time We Met (Formerly “This Week”)
HELP WANTED: Due to his schedule, this cub reporter will be missing (and did miss this one) lunch meetings for a while. If you could help out by sending a quick update of whatever Prez Carole announces as well a list of guests and a word or two about the speaker that would be great.
NOTE: As of the writing of this, the board meeting on the 4th is in limbo. If you were planning on attending this meeting, please let me know and I’ll let you know the status.
The Next Time We Meet (Formerly “Next Week”)
September 4th – POSTPONED?? - Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
September 5th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Our guest speaker will be Jibreel Khazan, a native son of Greensboro, North Carolina. Mr. Khazan also known as Ezell Blair Jr. has lived in New Bedford for more than 50 years. He is a teacher, historian, lecturer and a national civil rights figure. As a freshman at North Carolina A and T University, along with three friends, he initiated the Sit In Movement on February 1, 1960. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called it the "spark" that lit the flame for the movement to spread. Jibreel Khazan, David Richmond, Joseph McNeil, and Franklin McCain are recognized for their contribution to civil rights on the campus of their school as well as the Smithsonian Museum.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting?
September 11th – POSSIBLY MOVEDD TO?? - Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
September 12th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
September 19th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
September 26th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
Odds and Ends
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- ZONE 24 & 32 Conference, September 20-22, 2018, Hotel Bonaventure in Montreal https://portal.clubrunner.ca/50077/sitepage/2018-montreal-conference/div-style-display-none-welcome-div
- WORLD POLIO DAY, October 24, 2018 https://www.endpolio.org/world-polio-day
- P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, November 9, 2018, The Dunk, Providence, RI https://rotary7950.com/event/rotary-night-at-the-providence-bruins/
- THE NUTS AND BOLTS OF ROTARY ASSEMBLY, November 10, 2018, White’s of Westport.
- FOUNDATION DINNER, November 15, 2018, Rosebrook Event Center, Wareham, MA
- MID-YEAR MEETING/PrePETS, February 9, 2019
- NORTHEAST PETS, March 7-9, 2019, Sheraton, Framingham MA
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (RLI), March 30, 2019, Amica, Lincoln, RI
- DISTRICT INTERNATIONAL NIGHT, April 1, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- DISTRICT ASSEMBLY: SECRETARIES, TREASURERS, ALL ROTARIANS, April 13, 2019, White’s of Westport
- MULTI DISTRICT CONFERENCE, May 3-4, 2019, Double Tree, Danvers, MA
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, June 1-5, 2019, Hamburg, Germany
- DISTRICT GOVERNOR INSTALLATION, June 17, 2019, Cape Codder, Hyannis, MA
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
(Since school has started again)
School teacher: "What's the matter my boy?"
Pupil: "Palpitation and insomnia."
Teacher: "But you can't be suffering from those things."
Pupil: "It isn't suffering, sir. It's spelling!"