Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
The Last Time We Met (Formerly “This Week”)
- As written by Orren for the 7/5/15 GAM
We didn't have a meeting because it was the 4th'
A holiday we rarely see, but honor well, of course.
But just because no meeting, doesn't mean no GAM,
And so I fake a meeting, that's the kind of guy I am.
Since none were at our meeting place, I have to wonder whether
If all of us are somewhere else - were we someplace all together?
I know I had a Happy Hour, and bet you most did too,
So Happy Hour or Happy Bucks are the same, isn't that true?
Well, that's enough to get this GAM started, so now I put it to rest.
I hope this imaginary meeting at least meets the four way test.
The Next Time We Meet (Formerly “Next Week”)
July 10th – RESCHEDULED Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
July 11th – Lunch at the Wamsutta/ Arnold Mansion. Our guest speaker will be Helena DaSilva Hughes, Executive Director of the Immigrants Assistant Center – Unrelated it is also National Blueberry Muffin Day.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting? –THANK YOU ELLEN – The program for July is full.
July 18th – Lunch at the Wamsutta/ Arnold Mansion. Our guest speaker will be Beverly Rousseau of Connecting the Dots.
July 25th – Lunch at the Wamsutta/ Arnold Mansion. Our guest speaker will be Melinda Tveit who is “Physical Therapist Par Excellance!!” as described by Ellen.
August 1st – Program TBA
August 7th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
August 8th – Annual Scholarship Luncheon at the Wamsutta Club/Arnold Mansion. Start time will be at NOON. This will be a sit down meal so PLEASE RSVP to Rich by 8/1.
Odds and Ends
Needed: Foundation Chair. Carole has served this role for many years and would like someone to do it while she is president.
Needed: Editor and/or writers for the GAM.
LUNCH PROGRAMS 2018-2019
President Elect John will be looking for help to fill the lunch program for the following year. If you would like to take a month, it would be a great help to him. If you have idea, suggestions or requests, let us know.
Dues are due. Yes, it’s that time where Rotary International and District will be looking for the semiannual dues. Any questions, please check with Lisa. The club must pay Rotary International and the district in July. Please do your best to submit payment in a timely fashion.
Are you planning on visiting a Rotary Club when you travel? We have the little “flags” for you to exchange when you go. They are in the closet at the Wamsutta Club.
ROTAFEST FOLLOW UP
Please follow up with any sponsors or ticket buyers that have not sent in their donations.
LATE TO THE MEETING?
If you are running late, you are always welcome at our meeting. Please be sure you check in with the treasurer or whoever is taking attendance. We have noticed some people not getting credit for attending meetings at which they arrived late. If you don’t check in, chances are you will not get credit for the meeting.
HOW DO I DO A MAKEUP?
Some folks have asked how to improve their attendance if they miss the Wednesday meeting. Here is a list. (Generally makeups “expire” after a month)
1. Check out other local clubs’ meetings. Dartmouth meets the first (dinner) and third (lunch) Thursdays at the New Bedford Country Club (I think). Fall River does lunch on Thursday at White’s of Westport. Not sure what Fairhaven is doing these days, possibly dinner on Tuesday (I hear they meet at Cleary’s Pub). The Taunton Club does lunch on Thursday at the Stoneforge Public House. Most can be contacted through their Facebook pages or websites. Or check out the district website for other clubs, locations and times. https://rotary7950.com/clubdirectory/
2. You can do make ups online https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/howtodoamakeup/. When you get to this page https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/articles/ click on date of one that interests you and follow the instructions.
3. You can stop into our own club’s monthly board meetings. (Generally the first Tuesday at 5 at FSI in Dartmouth. Address in the GAM)
4. Check out the club’s committees.
5. Assist with RotaFest or Breakfast with Santa or other events (Sell tickets, find auction items, etc.)
6. District events are an option as well. (See the GAM for those as well)
7. Traveling? Visit a club meeting in the town wherever you are. Club meetings are even held on cruise ships and at Walt Disney World. We even have a banner for you to exchange.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- PAW SOX ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, Pawtucket, RI, August 17, 2018 https://www.crsadmin.com/gen/Accounts/50054/EventPlanner/ef45736b-d733-4ec1-b1b3-81a330d47c7e/10738/rotary-night-order-form.pdf\
- ZONE 24 & 32 Conference September 20-22, 2018,Hotel Bonaventure in Montreal https://portal.clubrunner.ca/50077/sitepage/2018-montreal-conference/div-style-display-none-welcome-div
- WORLD POLIO DAY, October 24, 2018 https://www.endpolio.org/world-polio-day
- P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, Providence, RI, November 9, 2018 https://rotary7950.com/event/rotary-night-at-the-providence-bruins/
One More Thing – An Lisa Classic (She may have been using Orren’s book at the time)
Landlady: - "What are you grumbling about?"
Boarder: - "You advertised this place ten dollars a week for bed and board."
Landlady; - "Well, isn't this so?"
Boarder: - "But I find they are one and the same thing!