Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
June 13, 2018
The Last Time We Met (Formerly “This Week”)
Our guest speaker was former (and hopefully future) member, Paula Borges, Chief Operating Officer of Child & Family Services invited by Carole. Paula spoke of the history of C&FS from its time as an orphanage in 1843 to its 10 sites across the state, 3 of which are in New Bedford with several programs from intervention to adoption. As you know, C&FS was the recipient of our back pack project as well as guests (of Carole) at our Breakfast with Santa. Paula told of one boy who was unable to attend the BwS and extremely upset about it that she had to contact Santa for a special breakfast with him. She also mentioned the constant need for employees. So if you know anyone interested in a career helping children and families, please contact Paula. Thank you Paula and hope to see you again real soon, preferably as a member. :)
Rotary Minute: Here is a drawing of our club’s first president, Elton S. Wilde of the Union Street Railway Company taken from the 1911 book “Just for Fun: A Series of Cartoons as Published in the New Bedford Daily Standard”. Illustrated by Edmund Ashley.
PRESIDENT’S TRIPLE THREAT MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: One more lunch meetings to invite 3 someone’s…
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Guest Speaker Paula Borges for Child and Family Services. 2018-19 President Elect John brought two guests to lunch - Al & Debbie Audette.
The Next Time We Meet (Formerly “Next Week”)
June 20th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Our guest speaker will be President and Chairman Richard Asquino of James Arnold Mansion, Inc.. In case you did not know, the Wamsutta Club is housed in the James Arnold Mansion.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting?
June 27th – SAVE THE DATE - New Officer Induction. 5:30 pm at the Wamsutta Club. See information below.
July 3rd – POSTPONED – Board meeting moved to July 10th.
July 4th – NO MEETING. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!
July 10th – RESCHEDULED Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
July 11th – Program TBD
Odds and Ends
You are cordially invited to attend the Rotary Club of New Bedford 2018-2019 Officers and Directors Induction on June 27, 2018 at the Wamsutta Club, 427 County St., New Bedford, MA 02740. There will be a cash bar at 5:30 pm. An Opening followed by Dinner will begin at 6:00 pm. The formal Induction Ceremony will start at approximately 7:00 pm. The menu will include Baked Stuffed Chicken Kiev with Baked Stuffed Shrimp. The cost will be $25 per person to be collected at the door.
RSVP to Carole Johnson by June 25th firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you planning on visiting a Rotary Club when you travel? We have the little “flags” for you to exchange when you go. They are in the closet at the Wamsutta Club.
INVITATION FROM THE ROTARY CLUB OF FALL RIVER
We invite you to join us as we embrace a new mission:
which is now among the top 3 causes of death in the US
Everyone knows someone who suffers from, cares for, or agonizes over a loved one with Alzheimer’s. Isn’t it time that we, as an organization, take the lead in this battle?
On June 21, we will all have the opportunity to learn more about this disease from fellow Rotarian and expert in the field, John Rogers. We hope this luncheon meeting will be the beginning of an all-out campaign by our District 701 to highlight this dread disease and shine a light on its importance to Rotarians and the community at large. We will be looking for members to add to our Fall River sub-committee, so please think about this.
If you can join us at White’s of Westport on the 21st to hear more about our plans, please notify
Charlene Jarest at 508-269-9008. As the fight with Polio winds down, we feel it is the time and place to move Rotary forward with an Alzheimer’s focus. Won’t you join us?
ROTAFEST FOLLOW UP
Please follow up with any sponsors or ticket buyers that have not sent in their donations.
LATE TO THE MEETING?
If you are running late, you are always welcome at our meeting. Please be sure you check in with the treasurer or whoever is taking attendance. We have noticed some people not getting credit for attending meetings at which they arrived late. If you don’t check in, chances are you will not get credit for the meeting. (This is a kinder Rotary as we don’t do fines anymore…)
HOW DO I DO A MAKEUP?
Some folks have asked how to improve their attendance if they miss the Wednesday meeting. Here is a list. (Generally makeups “expire” after a month)
1. Check out other local club meetings. Dartmouth has night meetings (I think). Fall River does lunch on Thursday at White’s of Westport. Not sure what Fairhaven is doing these days. Most can be contacted through their Facebook pages or websites
2. You can do make ups online https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/howtodoamakeup/. When you get to this page https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/articles/ click on date of one that interests you and follow the instructions.
3. You can stop into our own club’s monthly board meetings. (Generally the first Tuesday at 5 at FSI in Dartmouth. Address in the GAM)
4. Check out the club’s committees.
5. Assist with RotaFest or Breakfast with Santa or other events (Sell tickets, find auction items, etc.)
6. District events are an option as well. (See the GAM for those as well)
7. Traveling? Visit a club meeting in the town wherever you are. Club meetings are even held on cruise ships and at Walt Disney World. We may even have a banner for you to exchange.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- DISTRICT GOVERNOR INSTALLATION DINNER, Randolf, June 15, 2018. Come celebrate District Governor Steve Certa's year and the Installation Celebration of District Governor William J Tennant and Braintree President Kelly Moore. This event is Black Tie Optional. www.rotary7950.com/event/district-governor-installation-dinner/
- JOINT AREA 7 ROTARY MEETING, White’s of Westport, June 21, 2018, 12:00PM – Speaking program will be John Rogers talking on Alzheimer’s caregivers. Please RSVP with Charlene at 508-269-9008.
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION - Toronto, Canada, June 23-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en Former First Lady of the United States Laura Bush, an advocate for literacy, education, and women’s rights, will speak at the 2018 Rotary Convention.
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
Motorist - "How far is it to the next town?"
Native - "Nigh on to five miles as the crow flies."
Motorist – “Well, how far is it if the crow has to walk and carry an empty gasoline can?”