Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
May 23, 2018
The Last Time(s) We Met (Formerly “This Week”)
This week’s meeting was a return to The M.O. Food=L.I.F.E. Food Pantry (that is its proper name as stated by their website for those that were wondering.) for a MILLION DOLLAR MEAL. We were given a slightly different task that had many members reaching for their reading glasses. At least it wasn’t unloading a truck, which evidently is not an impeachable offense. Right Linda? Don’t forget we ask everyone to pay for the MILLION DOLLAR MEAL even if you didn’t attend. Thank you to everyone who did attend. They were very grateful for the help.
Rotary Minute: Maybe you have heard some older members talk about “fines”. A Rotary Tradition, a Rotarian who committed a faux pas would get fined. They could be good natured ribbing or an attempt to create a desired effect. “Offenses” included being late, leaving early, being pictured in the newspaper without your Rotary pin, not completing a Rotary task, losing a bet, sitting at a table of all women or all men, not having your Rotary pin on, cell phone ringing at a meeting or having a birthday. We tend to stick to Happy Bucks these days.
PRESIDENT’S TRIPLE THREAT MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: Have you identified the 3 people you will ask (or re-ask) to lunch? Only six five weeks left. (Though you should never stop asking.)
VISITORS AND GUESTS: We were guests of Anna, who was in charge at the Pantry.
The Next Time We Meet (Formerly “Next Week”)
May 30th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBD. Something special will be raffled off to those in attendance.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting?
June 5th – Monthly Board Meeting. You should know the time and place by now. If not, ask a board member.
June 6th – Program TBD
June 27th – SAVE THE DATE - New Officer Induction. 5:30 pm at the Wamsutta Club. More information to follow.
Odds and Ends
ROTAFEST FOLLOW UP
Please follow up with any sponsors or ticket buyers that have not sent in their donations.
LATE TO THE MEETING?
If you are running late, you are always welcome at our meeting. Please be sure you check in with the treasurer or whoever is taking attendance. We have noticed some people not getting credit for attending meetings at which they arrived late. If you don’t check in, chances are you will not get credit for the meeting. (This is a kinder Rotary as we don’t do fines anymore…)
HOW DO I DO A MAKEUP?
Some folks have asked how to improve their attendance if they miss the Wednesday meeting. Here is a list. (Generally makeups “expire” after a month)
1. Check out other local club meetings. Dartmouth has night meetings (I think). Fall River does lunch on Thursday at White’s of Westport. Not sure what Fairhaven is doing these days. Most can be contacted through their Facebook pages or websites
2. You can do make ups online https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/howtodoamakeup/. When you get to this page https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/articles/ click on date of one that interests you and follow the instructions.
3. You can stop into our own club’s monthly board meetings. (Generally the first Tuesday at 5 at FSI in Dartmouth. Address in the GAM)
4. Check out the club’s committees.
5. Assist with RotaFest or Breakfast with Santa or other events (Sell tickets, find auction items, etc.)
6. District events are an option as well. (See the GAM for those as well)
7. Traveling? Visit a club meeting in the town wherever you are. Club meetings are even held on cruise ships and at Walt Disney World. We may even have a banner for you to exchange.
INVITATION TO JOINT AREA 7 ROTARY MEETING, JUNE 21, 2018
- From our ADG Charlene (and she’s also a future District Governor)
I am writing to you to extend an invitation on behalf of the Rotary Club of Fall River, to a joint Area 7 meeting, on June 21, 2018, at noon. The meeting will take place at White’s of Westport. The speaking program will focus on an Alzheimer’s presentation - an area of great interest to Rotary International and all of us. The Rotary Club of Fall River is extremely fortunate in that a highly knowledgeable subject matter expert, John Rogers, is a member of the club. The presentation will also highlight the role of Care givers. I have heard John speak, in the past, and I will tell you that I learned a great deal from the experience. (and I enjoyed it!!).
I would like to help in the organization of your visit in advance, so that we can give the restaurant an accurate count. So, please get back to me with the number of club members that will attend. I will be following up on this invitation as we go forward, so please do communicate with me. Thank You!
Charlene J. Jarest, DGND, Area 7 Assistant Governor District 7950 Rotary International
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- DISTRICT GOVERNOR INSTALLATION DINNER, Randolf, June 15, 2018. Come celebrate District Governor Steve Certa's year and the Installation Celebration of District Governor William J Tennant and Braintree President Kelly Moore. This event is Black Tie Optional. www.rotary7950.com/event/district-governor-installation-dinner/
- JOINT AREA 7 ROTARY MEETING, White’s of Westport, June 21, 2018, 12:00PM – Speaking program will be John Rogers talking on Alzheimer’s caregivers. Please RSVP with Charlene.
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION - Toronto, Canada, June 23-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en Former First Lady of the United States Laura Bush, an advocate for literacy, education, and women’s rights, will speak at the 2018 Rotary Convention.
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
According to Bob Orben (whomever he may be): "Adam and Eve had an ideal marriage. He didn't have to hear about all the men she could have married - and she didn't have to hear about the way his mother cooked!"