Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
January 3, 20187
This Week – HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
NO MEETING ON January 3rd. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.
Rotary Minute. By 1921, Rotary clubs had been formed on six continents
PRESIDENT’S VALENTINE’S ALUMNI MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: Only 6 weeks left to complete the second challenge…
VISITORS AND GUESTS: “Fish and visitors stink after three days” -Benjamin Franklin (Hopefully you were not reminded of this during the holiday season.)
January 9th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
January 10th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Annual Yankee Swap. Please bring a wrapped gift to exchange with a value of no more than $10. More information below.
January 17th – Program TBD.
April 26th – SAVE THE DATE – RotaFest 2018
Odds and Ends (Just reminders from last week)
ANNUAL YANKEE SWAP
Always a fun event, we ask everyone attending the meeting on January 10th at the Wamsutta to bring a wrapped gift of about $10 value. (Or don’t. It’s really up to you) It can be something new, something you are re-gifting or something you cleaned out of your workshop as Mark T. used to do.
YOU AND ROTARY WEBSITES
There are two Rotary websites that you as a Rotarian have a profile on.
1. The first is our club website www.newbedfordrotary.com. Sign in using the “For members…” in the blue column on the left. You can add a photo of yourself, a website for you or your company and other information that visitors to the website can see. If you don’t know how to log in, the pres/webmaster can resend your invite email.
2. Second, the Rotary International site of My Rotary https://my.rotary.org . This is the information the national organization has about you. No pictures needed for this profile, but it will connect you with everything Rotary International has to offer. Go to the site and create an account. It will ask for your membership number which will be on your monthly copy of “The Rotarian”.
SAVE THE DATE – APRIL 26, 2018 – Same time and place as last year. This is our biggest fundraiser and we need everyone’s help. Start approaching restaurants to come and serve food. Think about businesses to be sponsors or give auction items. Who will you be inviting to (aka selling ticket to…) this amazing event? Any questions about the event, ask RotaFest Chair Carole.
Unfortunately the treasurer was unable to attend the last meeting to hand out invoices. Please let us know if you need one to generate payment. Dues are $65 and cover you for 6 months. Please contact Lisa for payment information. Thank you for those that have already paid.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- MID-YEAR/PRE-PETS MEETING, White’s of Westport, February, 10, 2018
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE, Amica Insurance, Lincoln, RI, March 31, 2018 www.rlinea.org
- MULTI-DISTRICT CONFERENCE, 1620 Hotel, Plymouth, MA, May 18-20, 2018
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, Toronto, Canada, June 23-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
Well here we are, another week without a get-together,
But perhaps it's just as well you see, considering the weather.
We're just not used to days and days unusually cold,
But spring is just around the corner - so we're being told.
So bundle up with hats and gloves, and red and rosy cheeks,
And come to Rotary's Yankee Swap with gift in hand next week.
And start the New Year off again with Service Above Self,
And bring a gift you really hate, just take it from your shelf.
And wrap it up so it looks good, and hope somebody loves,
So you go home with something else, how 'bout a pair of gloves?
Or maybe you get lucky, with a million dollar prize
From a lottery scratch ticket - you won't believe your eyes!
So as we start our meeting - please show how much you care
And try your best to join us - we really want you there!,