Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
December 27, 2017
NO MEETING TODAY!!!! Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.
Rotary Minute. In Rotary’s legislative deliberations in June 1921, it was formally determined that racial restrictions would not be permitted. Non-racialism was included in the terms of the standard constitution in 1922, required to be adopted by all member Clubs.
PRESIDENT’S VALENTINE’S ALUMNI MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: You haven’t forgotten what this is, have you?
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Hope you had several visitors and visits of friends and family over the holiday.
January 2nd – Board Meeting moved to the following week
January 3rd – No meeting. Enjoy the holidays
January 9th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
January 10th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Annual Yankee Swap. Please bring a wrapped gift to exchange with a value of no more than $10. More information below.
January 17th – Program TBD.
April 26th – SAVE THE DATE – RotaFest 2018
Odds and Ends (Just reminders from last week)
ANNUAL YANKEE SWAP
Always a fun event, we ask everyone attending the meeting on January 10th at the Wamsutta to bring a wrapped gift of about $10 value. (Or don’t. It’s really up to you) It can be something new, something you are re-gifting or something you cleaned out of your workshop as Mark T. used to do.
YOU AND ROTARY WEBSITES
There are two Rotary websites that you have a profile on.
1. The first is our club website www.newbedfordrotary.com. Sign in using the “For members…” in the blue column on the left. You can add a photo of yourself, a website for you or your company and other information that visitors to the website can see. If you don’t know how to log in, the pres/webmaster can resend your invite email.
2. Second, the Rotary International site of My Rotary https://my.rotary.org . This is the information the national organization has about you. No pictures needed for this profile, but it will connect you with everything Rotary International has to offer. Go to the site and create an account. It will ask for your membership number which will be on your monthly copy of “The Rotarian”.
SAVE THE DATE – APRIL 26, 2018 – Same time and place as last year. This is our biggest fundraiser and we need everyone’s help. Start approaching restaurants to come and serve food. Think about businesses to be sponsors or give auction items. Who will you be inviting to (aka selling ticket to…) this amazing event? Any questions about the event, ask RotaFest Chair Carole.
Unfortunately the treasurer was unable to attend the meeting last week to hand out invoices. Please let us know if you need one to generate payment. Dues are $65 and cover you for 6 months. Please contact Lisa for payment information. Thank you for those that have already paid.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- MID-YEAR/PRE-PETS MEETING, White’s of Westport, February, 10, 2018
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE, Amica Insurance, Lincoln, RI, March 31, 2018 www.rlinea.org
- MULTI-DISTRICT CONFERENCE, 1620 Hotel, Plymouth, MA, May 18-20, 2018
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, Toronto, Canada, June 23-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en
One More Thing – An Orren Classic (adapted)
Well, we made another trip around the sun, as you probably know by now,
And we've wiggled our way through Christmas, though sometimes I do not know how.
So next up is another Holiday, as we start off year twenty-eighteen,
And how it will go of course, good, bad or what; right now remains to be seen.
So wrap up this year, like you wrapped up those gifts
And get ready to think eighteen when the calendar shifts.
And think about Rotary meetings not had
And get ready for January 10th and be glad.
That day will be Christmas all over again
As Yankee Swap will be held as the new year begins.
So here's wishing Rotarians all, good health and a lot of good cheer
As we wrap this one up, and get ready to serve, another Rotarian year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!