Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
October 4, 2017
The club president gave out some recognition at this week’s meeting to nine Rotarian that have completed the President’s Halloween Membership Challenge. What did he give out? You’ll have to attend the next meeting and/or complete the challenge to find out. A “Thank You” goes out , in no particular order, to Bunny, Lisa, Linda, Carole, John, Paula, Ellen, Carl and Tom. I hope I have given everyone the credit they deserve. (I haven’t had to print a correction in a while…)
Our guest speaker was former Rotarian and Past Club President Craig Dutra, Community Liaison for Bay State Wind/DONG Energy. Bay State Wind is a partnership between Danish company DONG (soon to be Ørsted according the web) and Eversource to bring offshore wind energy to New England. They are specifically looking to put an offshore wind farm off the south coast of Martha Vineyard. While the power will be coming into the Brayton Street Power Plant (which Tom seemed excited about for some reason), New Bedford looks to be the hub of operations for the project. This project could see around 1,000 local jobs during initial construction and over 100 during its operation, and help diversify New Bedford’s economic base. Thank you Craig for the interesting talk and he has an open invitation to return as a member at any time.
Rotary Minute More from 1921 (the year our club was founded) – Famous folk born in 1921 - Nancy Reagan, John Glenn, Gene Rodenberry, Rodney Dangerfield and Charles Bronson. Prohibition was the law of the land. Famous brands that got “started” in 1921 – White Castle (the true founder of modern fast food), Sunbeam Bread, Betty Crocker, Radio Shack and Andy’s Candies (which is today called Andes Candies because it was discovered that men did not like giving boxes of candy with another man's name to their wives and girlfriends) [Nice to see we outlasted several of these…]
PRESIDENT’S HALLOWEEN MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: FREE STUFF!!! GIFTS!!! Nine Rotarians that had completed the challenge and were at today’s meeting received a SPECIAL GIFT. If you have completed the challenge, let the prez know so he can give you FREE STUFF at the next meeting. If you haven’t completed it yet, you still have time to get a SPECIAL GIFT. In case you forgot, all you need to do is invite a potential Rotary member to lunch. They don’t even have to show up, you just have to ask.
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Guest Speaker former Rotarian and Past Club President Craig Dutra, Community Liaison for Bay State Wind/DONG Energy.
October 11th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Our speaker will be Kristen Lancaster, the Neediest Family Fund's Prizeapalooza Chairperson.
October 18th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Our speaker will be Marquis Taylor, President and co-Founder of Coaching 4 Change.
October 25th – Monthly Evening Social. Join us at the Ice House Bar & Grill in their Harpoon Room located at 136 Huttleston Ave., Fairhaven. We will be looking for an RSVP the week prior.
November 1st – Program TBA
November 6th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
November 26th – Breakfast with Santa. SAVE THE DATE. See note below for information.
December 2nd – Ringing of the Bells for the Salvation Army. SAVE THE DATE. More information below.
Odds and Ends
FROM ADG CHARLENE JAREST – Disaster Aid through Rotary
Hello, Everyone. The question came forward about how to donate specifically to aid Puerto Rico, with regard to Rotary International’s Disaster Aid fund. The link below will get any Rotarian to the proper page, where each area of disaster has its own account number (including Puerto Rico and Mexican earthquakes.) Please let your people know that this exists. Many thanks!
Warm regards, Charlene
Charlene J. Jarest, Assistant Governor - Area 7
RINGING OF THE BELLS (formerly the Battle of the Bells)
Ellen G. will be chairing the Ringing of the Bells this year. Thank you Ellen from a former chief “Ding-a-Ling”. For those new members, we will ring bells at a Salvation Army kettle location. Many of you know, by the club serving as bell ringers, it means the Salvation Army does not have to pay ringers allowing more of the donations to go to people in need.
Ellen will be contacting everyone with specifics but generally we have two hour shifts. Friends and family are welcome to join. So save the date December 2nd and watch for more details.
BREAKFAST WITH SANTA
Yes, Virginia, it’s that time again. Marc announced that it is time to start to find sponsors and sell placemat ads for our annual Breakfast with Santa. It is scheduled for Sunday, November 26 at 9am at the New Bedford YMCA. We will be emailing the forms out to those that did not get them at the meeting. We have pictures with Santa, a filling breakfast and crafts for the kids.
How can you support this event? Glad you asked.
- Gold Sponsorships are available for $200. This includes an ad on all the placements, a poster at the event, a mention in any publicity and tickets for two families of four which can be donated to local charities in your name. Ask fellow business folks if they want to support this. THANK YOU TO GOLD STAR REALTY AND FIRE SYSTEMS INC FOR STARTING OFF THE SPONSORSHIPS!!
- Placemat ads (business card size) are $25 each on a placemat design or be on all 6 placemat designs for $130. Great for businesses and other people (the Grinch has an ad every year) to support our club. Also includes one adult and one child ticket for the event which can be donated to a local charity.
- Individual tickets are available for sale. $10 for adults, $6 for children, under 3 are free. Do you know any families with small kids that would like to attend?
- We can use help on the day serving food, cleaning tables, working with Santa or in the crafts room.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they like on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
STARTED THIS WEEK - WEEKLY MEETING FEE INCREASED
As note before, meeting fees have gone to $15 starting October 4th.
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- ZONE 24 & 32 INSTITUTE, Hartford, CT, October 19-22, 2017 Come and hear Rotary International President Ian Riseley and the first female club president Sylvia Whitlock
- FOUNDATION DINNER, Venus De Milo, Swansea, MA, November 9, 2017 More information on the district’s page www.rotary7950.com
- ROTARY AT THE UNITED NATIONS DAY, United Nations, New York City, November 11, 2017 www.rotary.org/en/un-day
- P-BRUINS ROTARY DAY FOR POLIO, Providence, RI, December 2, 2017
- MID-YEAR/PRE-PETS MEETING, White’s of Westport?, February, 10, 2018 – INCLUDES Club Secretary and Treasurer Training.
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE, Amica Insurnce, Lincoln, RI, March 31, 2018
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, Toronto, Canada, June 24-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en
One More Thing – “Notes from North Carolina” – Thanks to Alan F.
Orren R had taken a little trip recently, and was spending the night in a Hampton Inn. While reading a book in bed there’s a knock on the door.
He opens it to find a beautiful young woman, who says, “I’m sorry, Sir, this must be the wrong room.”
To which Orren replies, “You have the right room, sweetheart, you’re just forty years too late.”.